We all know by now that diets don’t work… but quick fix diets and ‘lose weight fast’ gimmicks persist. So, what’s the deal? How can we attain (and maintain!) a healthy weight within the parameters of a (relatively) comfortable lifestyle?
1) Quit Dieting Instead of depriving yourself of the foods you love (which only increases the cravings for them!), add some good choices in to your daily food consumption. Choose a few things you can handle, such as having a salad before dinner, or adding some fresh fruit to your cereal in the morning. And, go from there! Small improvements add up to big success.
2) Train with Weights I know, images of huge, muscle bound men pumping iron are floating in your head and you're thinking, "I don't want to bulk up." Relax. It takes an enormous amount of effort to get as big as those body builders you see online or at the gym. Using light- medium weights, you can sculpt your body and increase your muscle mass. This will increase your BMR and help you burn fat 24/7 (provided you are eating enough). One note of caution: you may experience a temporary "bulking" effect because muscle gain will initially surpass fat loss. Stick with it! Ride out this "bulky" time and you will see wonderful results! While the amount of time varies for everyone, depending on genetics, body composition, and intensity and frequency of workouts, you should expect to see the fat loss phase of weight training within 6-10 weeks.
3) Do Cardio Don't forgo cardio for weight training. Cardio has some great heart healthy benefits and will help you to increase your energy and accelerate your fat loss.
4) Stretch Flexibility is an important part of fitness. So, don't forget to gently stretch during and after a workout. Never stretch "cold" muscles and use care so that you don't overdo it and pull a muscle.
5) Get the Help You Need The help of a qualified personal trainer, medical professional, nutritionist, and/or the support of a good friend, will offer you the help and encouragement you need. Learning the proper form and technique of exercise will not only help you avoid injury, but will help you use your workout time more effectively. Learning what and how much to eat will help you see results faster. Having support will keep you motivated and on track!
This week, let's focus on longevity. We are in this for the long-haul and our "baby-steps" are starting to add up. We feel more aware, informed and confident! Keep reviewing the previous topics.
Sick with it and see you next week!!
Back to LifeStyle Guide This information should not serve as a replacement for therapy. Please visit the Can Therapy Help Me page for more information if you think you may have an eating disorder, or should require individualized help.
HELPING FAMILIES HEAL, PLAY AND LOVE!
M-F: 9am - 6pm After hours and weekends by appointment
FCCS is directed by Melinda Haynes, MA, California LMFT-S 102308. Oklahoma LMFT 1153. North Carolina LMFT 2143.
We provide therapy for various court ordered and/or trauma issues including reunification, absent parent, parent in prison, violence, witnessing violence, domestic violence, tragedy, murder, witness to murder, grief, loss, death, friend killed, violence in neighborhood, fear, first responder, vicarious trauma, anxiety, depression, nightmares, panic, etc.
We aim to provide the best child therapy and family therapy in California. We are honored to be the go-to source of court-ordered therapy and reunification therapy in California. The National Supervised Visitation online training program is a subsidiary of FCCS and can be found at https://www.SupervisedVisitationTraining.com. Professional consulting for mental and behavioral health professionals is available at www.MelindaHaynes.com.
Coupon - discount code for Policies and Procedures Manual Template: The Best, Most Affordable, Comprehensive, Magnificent & Amazing Policies & Procedures Manual for the Helping Professions editable template. is available at https://www.bestpoliciesandprocedurestemplate.com/.
Practicum site near me. We have therapy, counseling, and social work practicum opening throughout California. Free clinical supervision. Contact us for details.