You may not be training to compete in the next Ms. USA pageant or Iron Man contest but putting some of these tricks of the trade to work can help you burn fat, gain energy and feel great.
1) They boost their metabolism Pros know that they burn more calories by having an increase in lean muscle mass. They weight train using heavy weights, taking caution to not increase weight load too rapidly. (Slow and steady wins the race!)
2) They eat power foods The fitness experts know that clean eating is just as important as (or even more important than) exercise when it comes to shredding fat. They eat foods that require more energy to digest than they contain, which provides keeps their blood sugar levels stable and provides them with staying power throughout their workouts and the rest of their day. Foods like…
oatmeal broccoli cabbage kale lentils zucchini apples prunes blueberries egg whites salmon tuna turkey chicken breast
3) They limit or avoid refined and processed foods and simple carbohydrates Instead of pasta, sugar, boxed meals and other popular items found in the middle portion of the grocery store, the pros stick with fresh, natural foods. When they want something sweet, they eat fruit, honey or pure maple syrup.
4) They set goals for themselves The pros know that it is too easy to slip back into the “too busy mode” or the “I don’t feel like it mode.” They set realistic yet challenging goals for themselves and stick to them. They find their own motivation, whether it be living long enough to see great-grandchildren, looking hot for that reunion or other event, or just having the sense of accomplishment. Many pros say that their workout time is their therapy. (Exercise has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety and depression!)
5) They are consistent The pros don’t skip workout days because they don’t feel like it. They plan their workouts into their calendar. They stick with their dietary intake, regardless of event, season or celebration. If they want to indulge, they work that into their life through planning and healthy compensation.
6) They drink plenty of water The pros know that water is essential to live. They know that even slight dehydration can cause fatigue and can disrupt the natural healing process that is necessary after a difficult workout.
7) They avoid 'all or nothing' thinking Professionals know that extreme thoughts and feelings can disrupt the growth process- physically and mentally. They know that saying, “Well, I missed my morning workout, so I might as well eat like garbage all day” does not help. They maintain a rational, logical balance in their thought processes to manage mishaps. They set their mind to continuous progress and improvement.
8) They eat every 2-3 hours. Fitness experts know that the body requires a small amount of food on a consistent basis, rather than periods of fasting and binging throughout the day. Frequent snacks and small meals helps keep the body fueled, avoids peaks and lows, and helps keep temptations manageable.
9) They get plenty of rest The pros know that rest is a critical part of weight loss, weight maintenance, work out recovery, and an overall healthy lifestyle. They work hard, then they allow the body time to repair and recover. They know that this avoids physical and mental burnout.
10) They supplement their diets The professionals take vitamins, minerals, protein, and/or other nutritional supplements that will help their body achieve optimal health and fitness. (Please ask your doctor before taking anything - and beware of fat loss or weight loss supplements.)
11) They shake it up Fitness gurus know that muscles have a type of memory that makes it easy to stall out on progress if new and different levels of exertion or movement are not introduced. Therefore, they create variety in their workouts to keep their muscles guessing – and improving. (This does not apply as much to people who are engaged in sport-specific training.)
What tips can you take from the pros? Start adding these ideas into your day and measure your success.
This information should not serve as a replacement for therapy. Please visit the Can Therapy Help Me page for more information or contact a therapist in your area should require individualized help.
530-518-1406 FCCS is a California LMFT Corporation owned and directed by Melinda Haynes, MA, LMFT. CA license number 102308. The persons depicted on this site are models. Photos do not represent or guarantee results. Serving Butte County, Chico, Paradise, Oroville, Berry Creek, Durham and Biggs.